Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Needle dragging tutorial

So as promised, a tutorial of needle dragging nail art. :D

You'll need two (or more if you like) nail polishes that are 1-coaters. Here I've used two colors that are far from each other so that you'll see the effect more clearly. You'll need something pointy, like a needle or dotting tool with a small end. When I use the needle I use the sharp end of it.

Below you can see a long picture describing the basics of the needle dragging. First you just paint one side and then the other without letting it dry, so it's good to be quick. Use thicker coats than you usually does otherwise it will dry too quick. Then it's just to use your dotting tool or needle making swirly moves over the nails as you can see from the pictures. And remember to make ONE nail at the time!


A tip is not to press down the dotting tool or needle too much on the nails. You don't want to drag away the polish leaving the natural nail visible like below:

The picture above is exaggerated but you see my point! What you want to do is to gently sweep the dotting tool or needle over the nail just gently mixing the polish from one side to the other.

With some practice you're pretty much done. Below is some proposal of how to variate your needle dragging:
a. = soft swirls made with a needle.
b. = soft large swirls made with a dotting tool.
c. = random dragging from one side to the other made with needle.
d. = zig-zag swirls made with needle.
Polishes used:
Kleancolor - Beach Blue
Kleancolor - Pastel Blue

For more inspiration check out my other needle dragging nail art posts. Just click on the picture to get to the post.
  
If you got any questions or requests, just shoot! :D

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful tutorial Gelic!
    I have one question: what happens if you drag away the colour, and you get bold spots, is there any way to fill it in, or you just start all over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!
      You can repair the damage if it isn't too much. You can either take your dotting tool or needle and push some of the color that already is on the nail and in that way repair it. If that's not possible and you just make more bold spots it is possible to take the dotting tool and take more color from the bottle and try to dot new/more polish on the manicure. When you put on top coat the repair will be invisible. :) Good luck!
      I will also update the blog post with that you'll need a thicker coat of polish than usual so it won't dry too quick. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great tutorial!! Thank you!! :D
    I will surely try this!!
    I really like the one you did with the turquoise and pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it will help!
      Yes, that one was also fun making. Hope you'll try it out! :D

      Delete
  3. Nice tutorial! I'll have to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, do it! :D I'm looking forward to see :D

      Delete

I love when you comment my posts even if it's just a simple hello. To simplify I will answer the comments in the post you wrote them in. I'll answer all comments so please check back if you want. :) Have a nice day!
Spam will be deleted.